RMS Beauty Defining Formula Mascara

Thursday, December 18, 2014 - Posted by Unknown at 9:03 PM
As a rule, I don't buy expensive mascara. I am a stickler about throwing out mascara after 3 months, and often do earlier than that as I have very sensitive eyes and often start getting irritation prior to the 3 month point. I do not buy $28 mascara.

But I love RMS Beauty. Love, love, love. I am pretty much obsessed with their eyeshadows, and awhile back they had a promotion that involved buying some products and getting a free Defining Formula Mascara, which normally costs $28. And I really wanted their new eyeshadows... so. I ordered this mascara from rmsbeauty.com. I usually buy RMS products from dermstore.com. I've now been using this mascara for almost three months and am sadly ready to part with it for a fresh tube of mascara... but I have to tell you about it first (because I may never own a $28 mascara again!)



The mascara is .23 oz. and comes in a slim metal tube. The shade is black, and it only comes in one shade but two different formulas, defining and volumizing. I was glad the promotion was for defining because the volumizing formula includes shea butter, which I definitely can't use near my eyes. Here's the ingredient list from rmsbeauty.com:

Water (Aqua), *Cera Alba (Beeswax), Stearic Acid, *Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Castor Isostearate Beeswax Succinate, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin, Benzyl Alcohol, Dehydroacetic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Tocopherol, Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Geraniol, Limonene, Parfum (Natural Fragrance). May Contain [+/-]: Iron Oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499
*Certified Organic
Gluten Free Formula

I was surprised to see that the RMS Beauty Volumizing Formula is rated a 4 at EWG. I went ahead and ran a report for the Defining Formula and it also rated a 4. This was surprising to me because I have very sensitive eyes and I have not reacted to this mascara.



As you can see the most unique thing about this mascara is that the wand is very thin. I really liked this wand because I felt like it was easier to avoid hitting myself in the eyeball with my mascara, and the design makes it easier to get it where you want it instead of all over your face. 

One coat (left only). 

Two coats (left only). 

Three coats (left only). 

Three coats both sides. 

With the high price of this mascara (have I mentioned that yet?) and the EWG rating of 4 I am unlikely to purchase this mascara again, but I'm really glad I got to try it! I think it looks great and stays on nicely. If I wear it a really long time - like, over eight hours - it can start to flake off and smudge under my eyes, but other than that it performs well. I really like the unique brush design and wish more natural mascaras had a brush like that. This doesn't make me love RMS Beauty any less, but I probably won't buy this mascara again. 

If you are interested in trying out this mascara you can purchase it here